My Social Networks
Share this Page
J.J. Sandra Kooij, MD, PhD
- PsyQ, psycho-medical programs, Program and Expertise Center Adult ADHD, The Hague, The Netherlands
- VUMc Amsterdam, dept. of psychiatry
Sandra Kooij started as a psychiatrist in 1995 with the development of diagnostic assessment, treatment and research in the field of adult ADHD in the Netherlands. In 2006 she received her PhD on a thesis entitled ‘ADHD in adults. Clinical studies on Assessment and Treatment’ at Radboud University Nijmegen (promotor prof. dr. J.K. Buitelaar). Since then, she has been involved for more than 20 years in ADHD research, patientcare, development of new trainings for professionals, informing the public, coordinating (inter)national networks on ADHD, publishing books, articles, and websites.
Main research interests: ADHD and sleep, disturbances of the circadian rhythm, mood, weight and health, and the relationship with hormonal changes in women. ADHD in older people is another interest.
(Inter)national tasks and positions
- 2016 – current Associate Professor of Psychiatry at VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam
- 2002 – current Initiator and Head of Program and Expertise Center Adult ADHD at PsyQ. Program Adult ADHD in the Hague treats annually around 1250 adult ADHD patients with
comorbidity, by a specialised multidisciplinary team. The expertise center is an (inter)national research and education institute that develops, distributes and implements new knowledge about ADHD in adults in mental health care in the Netherlands and abroad. The knowledge is distributed by scientific and popular publications, education programs, websites and films (www.psyq.nl).
In 2008 and in 2013, Program and Expertise Center Adult ADHD received the TOP Mental Health (TOPGGz) acknowledgement, for excellent patientcare, education and research (www.topggz.nl).
- 2010 – current Specialist-leader Adult ADHD at PsyQ in the Netherlands, responsible for the training and support of the 34 locations of PsyQ in the Netherlands. Each location has a specialised Adult ADHD Program (www.psyq.nl).
- 2015 – current Specialist-leader Neurobiological Developmental Disorders at Parnassia Group in the Netherlands
- 2010 – 2015 Chair of the Guideline committee on Adult ADHD of the Dutch organisation of Psychiatry. The guideline was published sept 2015.
- 2011 – current Initiator of the Lifespan ADHD Clinic at PsyQ in cooperation with child psychiatry, Lucertis & the Jutters, the Hague. In 2016 extended with ADHD in old age.
- 2003 – current Initiator and chair of the ‘European Network Adult ADHD’, in which now adult ADHD specialists from 27 countries take part www.eunetworkadultadhd.com.
- 2009 – current Initiator and chair of the international DIVA
Foundation that distributes free of charge, online translations of the Dutch Diagnostic Interview for ADHD in adults (DIVA 2.0) that has been translated in 20 languages (www.divacenter.eu). In 2012, the DIVA 2.0 App was launched via the App and Google Play store.
- 2014 – current Initiator of ADHDFund, an international online crowdfund for patient driven research on ADHD (www.adhdfund.com).
- 2008 – current Board member of APSARD, the American Psychiatric Society on ADHD and Related Disorders
- 2010 – current Member of the Scientific Program committee of the World ADHD Congress
- 2017 Advisory Board of ADHD Europe
- 2017 Member of Eunethydis, European research network on ADHD